Friday, March 7, 2008

Videos online

I found the video "Olive Riley Returns to Broken Hill" very interesting and the star of the video inspiring. It is a fine example of a live oral history. There's no reason why our library can't make a similar video featuring our residents ...long-term, newly arrived and those who have given so much to the community.

Maybe we can also have something similar to "We love our NJ libraries". Or we can focus on a specific library service, say the Special library services which deliver books, DVDs, etc. to nursing homes, retirement villages and housebound customers. But the video on "New Employee Orientation", I find boring. And I didn't like that video on "Reference and Research Assistance" because it claimed that this section or service is the heart of the library and the first place to visit for information. I would argue that it all depends on the information you're looking for.

Just out of curiousity I searched for Mosman Library in YouTube and, of course, didn't find any. But when I typed in Mosman, there were several videos available starting with "Chaser's War on everything: Mosman Mosque". As I was sure this was going to be funny, I watched it. Mosman Library was mentioned in passing - that the Mosman Mosque would be built close to the library.

Then I went to Google Video and searched for Mosman Library. There I found several videos of their author speakers. I watched Noeline Brown (because I remember her being a contestant in Channel Seven's Dancing with the Stars). She gave a funny anecdote on how she applied for a job as Assistant Librarian at Marrickville Library at the age of 15 and was instead offered a job as Library Assistant. That was classic!

I also had a glimpse at James Valentine's (he of Channel 7's It takes two fame) video but the sound didn't come out alright. I also watched Caroline Jones' video only because I've read her book about the "Search for Meaning" a long time ago...so long that I can't remember what THE meaning is!

Well, this sure is good. As long as you have a computer. But if you don't have access to one, then you miss out on these wonderful talks (unless you were physically present at these events). I guess the library could also have produced a DVD featuring all these author speakers and make the DVD available for loan or be able to be watched at the library.

No comments: