Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Zoho wins my heart!

I find that Zoho is much better than Google Docs. The former has much more features, such as skins, superscript, subscript, DigiSign, emoticons, and special character, just to mention a few. You can even write a document in the following languages: Japanese, Dutch, Danish, Russian, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish and Chinese. And ... Zoho can do spellcheck for each language. And there's more! You can go offline!

Our library has had computer virus problems caused by our customers using their USBs and floppy disks. For the moment, they are not allowed to use these devices but I don't think we can hold them back forever. Already, the customers are howling: How on earth are we gonna print out our documents if you don't allow us to download these from our USBs? These online word processors could be the answer. We just have to make these known to them in one of our DO YOU KNOW THAT... awareness programs which can take the form of posters, bookmarks, talks and other awareness strategies. It will take some time but we have to start somewhere.

These online word processors will be VERY useful to me personally when writing articles, reports and other written communications. I often write articles (for our Library News and PLB News) when I'm on my annual leave or home. When I finish drafting the document, I attach it to my email (personal email account) and send this to my office outlook. As soon as I get back to work, I save the document in my TRIM folder and work from there. Last time, I used my USB to save my writing and uploaded this document to my office pc when I got back to work. But with Google Docs or Zoho, it will be a different ball game. These online word processors will definitely change the way I deal with documents from now on. Imagine being able to access my documents anytime, anywhere!

No comments: