Tuesday, April 8, 2008

An Opportunity Arose

The weather forecast this week was rains, rains and more rains. I was a bit worried because today I was going to have the launch of my latest initiative, the Navigator Library Access Project, to mark the golden anniversary of NSW Seniors' Week.

The Navigator is a community based project aimed at increasing the quality of life and independence for people with Macular Degeneration. This project was organised in partnership with the Macular Degeneration Foundation (http://www.mdfoundation.com.au/) and funded by the Friends of Liverpool Library. The Navigator is a product of Audio-Read Pty, Limited (http://www.audio-read.com.au/ ).

And why was I worried? Considering that my target group for this event were all seniors, I thought that with the rains, they would rather stay home. It was raining cats and dogs when I came to work last Monday. And yesterday, Tuesday, was no different. It rained all day long! And so last night and early this morning, I prayed really hard that God would not let it rain today, at least not until 11:00 am when my audience would have arrived in the Library. And God heard my prayers! It was really a bright, sunny morning. And the rains did not come down until after 11:00 am!

The program of THE day included: the Traditional Welcome by Glennys Norton, Coordinator, Customer Services, followed by a warm welcome by our library manager, Paul Scully, and talks by Nerida Edwards, president of the Friends of Liverpool Library group, Tony Blackwood, Managing Director of Audio-Read, and Lyn Ifedioranma, Liverpool Council's community worker for the aged and disability services. Launching officer was Julie Heraghty, MDF Chief Executive Officer. In a separate blog, I will be downloading their speeches.

Julie gave me the biggest compliment during the social part of the program. She said that I should have been a wedding planner, seeing how organised and successful the day was.

Indeed, there was an opportunity for me to videotape the proceedings and upload this to You Tube, Google Video or podcast. That is, if only we have the right equipment to do so. However, I took photos with our digital camera and will upload this to Flickr, then to this weblog. And maybe later, make a CD or DVD of the occasion. We'll see...

No comments: